Monday, January 30, 2017

Wagging

I've noticed throughout the years different rabbits occasionally flicking their tails in a manner which appears similar to when a dog wags.  I never really thought much of it.  However, the past few weeks I've noticed a few particular rabbits doing quite a bit of 'wagging'.  


Above is my Flemish Giant female, Pumpkin.  Below is my Lop female, Olive.  These two have been my main tail waggers lately.  I thought maybe they were eager to breed.  Usually when females live with other bunnies and they're ready to breed, they become somewhat aggressive, humping everything and everyone.  But I wasn't sure about tail wagging.  Especially with Pumpkin, as she lives by herself.  After looking it up, I saw that tail wagging in rabbits is a sign of excitement. 


Everything I read pointed to happy rabbits, eagerly awaiting either their food or a treat of some kind.   I then went out to feed all of my bunnies.  And while I took out their food bowls and was scooping their feed into it, I noticed their tails wagging as they watched, or while they jumped happily around their cage.


Even after a few years of raising, I'm still learning new things about my rabbits all the time.  And for the fact that rabbits wag their tails in joy is really sweet.  And every time I see one do it, it puts a smile on my face to know they're happy and looking forward to their dinner. 


No comments:

Post a Comment