Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Breeding

While today wasn't as sunny out, the temperature made it into the low 60's and the rain seemed to hold off.  So I was able to breed another set of six bunnies. 

I bred Francis, my Velveteen Lop male with my other Velveteen Lop female, Lily. 


Then I put my very experienced Lionhead female Kayla in with my Lionhead male Napoleon.  This was Napoleon's first time breeding. 


I'm not sure with how well he actually did, as I only noticed one definite successful breeding. 


Then for my Mini Lops, I put my female Valentine in with my male, Bruce. 


They did a beautiful job.  They've thrown some really nice kits together in the past.  I'm hoping for a nice Grey or Chocolate female to raise up and allow Valentine to retire as a breeder. 


For my Holland Lops, I put my female Charity in with my male Bubba.  This was Charity's first breeding.  She did a good job and is happily relaxing back with her sisters.  It will be interesting to see the color variations from these two since they're both Blue, although Charity has some really pretty blue eyes. 


For my Flemish Giants I put my female Dadooshka in with my male Jr. 


I'm guessing their litter will be completely Brown and Black, although I could be wrong, but that appears to be the pattern from past litters that I've noticed. 


When I get ready to breed rabbits, I always bring out a piece of paper with the names of the females already bred, just to make 100% sure that they aren't accidentally bred again.  Then I also list the rabbits I do breed with the date.  I add stars to the side of each one so I know which ones I've already gotten pictures of. 


And of course, after each breeding, I make sure to give both my males and females a yogie treat.


Then last but not least, I put my Lionheads Rosie II and Zeus together. 


Zeus is still new at this, as today was his second time breeding.  And this was Rosie's first breeding, so I'm really hoping it was successful.  Zeus seems to have a very slow technique, which isn't necessarily a good thing when it comes to an impatient female. 


However, I'm excited that the bunny season has come back and that pretty soon I'll be having lots of little bunnies hopping around! 

No comments:

Post a Comment