Saturday, June 28, 2014

Rabbit On the Loose!

Today I was unable to go tend my rabbits until later in the afternoon.  I walked past the hutches with mothers and their litters and over to my cages, which are all lined up in a row.  Something looked off to me.  I looked at all the rabbits, seeing them all just hanging out.  I had recently moved some of my rabbits around, but something was wrong. 

Looking at one of my newer females, Jazz, and then letting my gaze fall to the cage below her...it was empty.  Now, at different times, I have cages which are empty, but...this one wasn't empty yesterday. 

Then I realized, my sweet tempered, easily go-lucky male Rhett had been in there.  Well, he was definitely NOT in there anymore.  I literally muttered, "you've GOT to be kidding me..." It was very depressing.  He could be anywhere!  Yes, we do have a fence surrounding all our rabbits/garden area, but there are spots where he could easily slip through and get out.

(This is an old picture of Rhett, but he's a Giant Flemish who's a good 20 pounder!)

Now, I was so bummed.  I thought he was gone for sure! And with the bears all around in our woods, I figured I'd never see him again.

*Note that this all occurred within 5 seconds of entering the garden area. 

Anyway, not a second later, but I noticed out of the corner of my eye something move slightly.  I looked...and sure enough,  it was Rhett!  He was behind some cages just hanging out, laying in the dirt underneath a bunch of spider webs. 

Completely relieved, I grabbed a stick and knocked away the webs.  Then kneeling down I said "Hey buddy!" he jumped right up and hopped over to my side.  I pet him, picked him up and put him in an empty hutch I have. 

The moral of this long and random story? GIVE YOUR RABBITS LOTS OF ATTENTION!!!! At the minimum, talk to them while you're out with them and pet them for a few minutes each day.  It will create a bond and they will trust you.  So if you end up in a situation where your rabbit gets out of it's cage (which DOES happen a LOT more often then you'd think...) you'll be able to call them over, pick them up and then you've solved your problem. 

Trust me, I've had this happen at multiple, random moments when you least expect it.  If the rabbit trusts you, the situation is solved really easily.  If it doesn't, you'll never be able to catch it.  So seriously, give your rabbit attention and love and they'll come to you when you need them to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment