Thursday, July 10, 2014

Expecting Rabbits!

Well, today I am moving my 2 Lion Head females into hutches incase they give birth a few days early.  However, their due dates are both on the 14th of this month.  (which incase you didn't know...is this Monday)

Anyway, due to limited cages, I have to move my male Rhett out of one of the hutches in order to move the females in.  Not only that, but in between moving to new cages, I always make sure and clean everything so that each rabbit goes into a fresh and clean area. 

So...I went out to the hutch with which Rhett was living in...






 
As you can see, there is a side door on the coop/hutch...

 
This side door is what would make it easiest for me to get Rhett out so I could put him in my spare cage I had ready for transporting him...
 
(Spare 'traveling' cage)
 
I opened the door, got Rhett out and put him into the spare cage so I could begin cleaning out the hutch for one of the lion head females.
 

 

 
Now...during this process, I had seen a big spider and didn't really give it too much thought...until I saw a second spider...
 


 
The smaller one wasn't that big...it was about three inches long.   The second spider though was more along the lines of the size of a big softball!  It was very creepy.  I got my brother to come and squish them, but they had both left and hid somewhere by the time he came outside.
 
I then began to clean out the hutch...
 

 
After I had gotten all the grossness out, I got a scoop full of diatomaceous earth and sprinkled it all over.
 


 
After that I got some hay and filled the nesting box with it.
 
 
I then got Kayla from her cage and put her into the hutch.
 
 
She had a great time checking the new space out!





 
I then repeated that whole process with the nesting area attached to this one...
 




 
And of course, after all that I dumped the bucket of stuff into the garden.
 
 
The I got Olive and put her into her area...
 



 
They are both now ready to give birth when they are ready! :)
 
And of course, Rhett got to go into his new cage and enjoy himself too.
 

 
(he wouldn't turn around for me to get any good pictures of him)
 
And so there you go! Now all I have to do is keep an eye on them all and I should be seeing some Lion Head babies in a few days! :) 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment