Monday, July 14, 2014

Lion Head Babies!

So as you all know, my Lion Head females have been pregnant the past few weeks.  Yesterday morning Olivia had 5 little kits!  Now, Olivia was bred with Phantom and he always gets the job done nicely.

Kayla's been ripping out fur and rearranging her nest all morning.  She was bred with Piccolo and it will be interesting to see if she's really pregnant or not because this was Piccolo's first time.  I'm almost 100% sure though that she is pregnant. 

Lion Head rabbits are much more sensitive to heat then others, I have noticed.  During the winter time, I would put heat lamps out for the mothers with newborns.  It always worked well until I tried it with the Lion Heads.  Instead the babies became too hot and died.  This was a huge blow. 

Olivia's first litter was born about a week after her due date.  She gave birth to 4 still born kits.  Her next litter all died of heat and she had 6 in that litter.  This is her third litter and I'm really hoping nothing bad happens to them.  It will also be interesting to see what kind of a mother Olivia will be. 

I'll have pictures later today and hopefully by that time Kayla will have had her litter too! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment