Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Feed

A friend of ours got a new chest freezer and asked us if we wanted their old one.  We use it now up by my rabbits.

We spray painted it black so that it is not an eye-sore.

In the back where it would usually have wires coming out to plug it in, we filled with foam so that mice and other critters wouldn't be able to get in and eat grain.

Not only does it store things for us, but we actually enjoy sitting on it and just watching the rabbits.

I know...sounds really 'hillbilly', right? Well, it works amazingly well!  And you'd be surprised as to how many people can fit on it at once.

Inside is were we store everything...

(this would be looking from above directly into the opened freezer)
Inside the rabbit's feed bag I have an old coffee container which I use as a scoop!

Then on the left side I have my 40lbs bag of Diatomaceous earth with a hand shovel.

In the back-right hand corner is this old milk container which holds special doe feed for when my females are pregnant.
The other things you saw in the picture? Well, the bag in the front-right hand corner is chicken feed and then the blue basket type thing with white inside it is actually used to hold hay when I have expecting females. 

So as you see, this freezer keeps the feed, hay and Diatomaceous earth from getting wet; while it also keeps critters away from and out of the feed.  Not only that, but with it tightly kept away, there is no scent to attract bears and other large creatures to my rabbits. 

So, while the freezer may appear back-woodsish and out of place, it actually is extremely helpful and does a wonderful job keeping everything fresh, dry, and scent-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment